Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Anniversary Newsletter

March 25, 2009

Dr. Steven Horvitz- Reading between the Lines:
Bringing you healthcare information you can trust!

It has been just over a year since my initial email newsletter, all of which are archived at my blog site located at http://drhorvitz.blogspot.com/ . What started out as a whim, has become enjoyable and fun. Being a science major in college, I never enjoyed writing. But I guess when you find the right topics, it can end up being fun. Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me to continue.

My newsletters are an easy 21st century segway to promoting a healthy lifestyle and serves as an extension of my practice, and of my philosophy of family medical care. A physicians duty is not just about treating the ill, but more importantly preventing illness from occurring. This takes planning and lots and lots of time. The majority of physicians in today's insurance and government dominated healthcare system do not have the luxury of time for prevention and wellness counseling. They are too busy "running the health insurance mill". I have overheard patient's say they were treated less like a number at the deli counter, than at their doctor's office. This is not a criticism of other doctors, but more of a criticism of the system in which they work. This dysfunctional system was the strongest motivating factor towards the evolution of the Institute for Medical Wellness.

On average, individuals visit their doctor's office about 3-4 times a year. During these visits, they are lucky to have 10-15 minutes in the exam room before the doctor is running to the next patient. Do you think this is adequate for healthy lifestyle promotion? I do not! Fifteen minutes is barely enough time to "put out the fires", let alone teach and encourage healthy behaviors. These time stressors made my transition away from health insurance contracts towards an individual patient-centered practice much easier. This style of practice puts the emphasis back on the doctor-patient relationship, and makes certain that this relationship is paramount. It limits the ability of any third party involvement in the decision making pertaining to your care. The strong doctor-patient relationship was the hallmark of medical care that past generations enjoyed, and is the practice style that I prefer.

To help promote wellness, I have continued to network with other like minded professionals. My website has a Wellness Network page that can serve as an introduction to their specialties, which includes a Naturopathic physician, personal trainer, yoga instructor, and Physical therapist. I am pleased to announce starting in April, Julie Fischer will begin performing massage therapy in my office on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As the need expands, so will Julie's availability. For the month of April, Julie's massage services will be offered at a 10% discount. Wellness Plan members get even better pricing.

I hope you will look to the wellness network within the Institute for Medical Wellness for more of your healthcare needs. If there are other areas of wellness that you feel would be a good addition, please let me know. As for the newsletters, I plan on continuing to write them as long as useful information pops up in the news. So it looks like you are stuck with them for quite a while! At the bottom of each newsletter is a "manage your subscription" link where you can opt out of receiving the newsletter if you choose. But then you would be missing out on a whole lot of my unbiased medical opinions ; )

If you have any suggestions about topics for future newsletters, or how to make the newsletter better, please send me an email at DrHorvitz@DrHorvitz.com.

To Good Health!!

Steven Horvitz, D.O.
Board Certified Family Medicine
Founder of The Institute for Medical Wellness
128 Borton Landing Road, Suite Two
Moorestown, NJ 08057
Phone: 856-231-0590
Fax: 856-294-0311

To view previous newsletters, please click here.

For more information about Dr. Horvitz and The Institute for Medical Wellness, please click here.

To view upcoming Wellness Network Events, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment